Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Working Woman


That’s right, I am a working woman. And most days I love it! It gives me a place to go to everyday. It gives me interaction with others and best of all, I get a paycheck. Not a large one but one that works for me at this point in my life. Really I have been blessed. I have never had to look too hard for a job. That may be because I haven’t been too picky when it comes to what job I would take. I have good friends that give great advice and my family is well, are among my friends.
Have you ever seen on TV how when they are at work they aren’t really accomplishing anything but just waiting for the time to pass by? That’s me about 30% of the time. I wonder if that is everyone at some points. As always I could be working on something that is due in the very near future but I work better under pressure and usually finish everything right before the deadline. It’s better that way for me. Do you know that I actually have a whole classroom as an office? Not with student desk or anything but it’s pretty big. I kind of do all the school nursing stuff where I work. I’m not really suppose to but the school needed someone to do it so why not the School Health Director. I have a nurse’s bed in my office. No kid has ever lain on it but I have it none the less. I have been tempted on certain days to lock my door and take a nap but it would never work. I never lock my door; I think it is a rule or something not too. I couldn’t fall asleep at school anyway. I have shut my door for privacy before and can you believe that no one knocks before they come in. Students just walk right in. What is that about? I would at least knock then enter. Give a little warning.
As for my “nursing” duties, I take all the temperatures and decide who is really sick and who has to go back to class. I do lice checks (it’s gross, I don’t even like insects). Sometimes I get mad internally and would like to lash out when the same student comes in weekly for head lice. I give out bandaids and all that good stuff. Sometimes teachers send students down to me with some crazy problem but I am like I’m not a Dr. I google a lot of stuff but never say what the problem is. There are very few reasons to send a student home from school. These are a few reasons: temperature over 100, head lice, you have seen them vomit, or a rash. Those are all nasty things. Other than that, they get sent back to class.
I believe I am the only person in the school that had them drill holes into cinder block in order to hang my diplomas up. I haven’t seen one other diploma in this school. Since I am still paying on these sheets of paper I like to be reminded that I have them. Truthfully, I don’t understand why jobs want you to have a degree. You don’t really use anything you learn in school. Maybe, that’s just me. I waste 30% of my time and I don’t use my degree. Anyways, I am done with my ramblings as of now. I am sure many of you would like for me to write something interesting or about men/boys. But I have nothing to report in that area. Or do I?

No comments: