Saturday, November 12, 2011

A letter to my son

Dear Elijah,
It may seem silly that I am writing this and you aren't even here yet but I feel like there is so much to say. I'm sure by the time you can read you will know that you mommy has a lot to say about life. You should know I am so excited for your arrival. I think I waste hours a day thinking about holding you. Some times I go sit in your nursery and imagine life with you. I'm sure soon I won't be able to imagine life without you.
Daddy is so excited for your arrival too. I love listening to him talk about you. He already thinks you are perfect and he hasn't even met you yet. He likes to talk to you and he tries to convince you that he is your favorite. I tell him there is no way that can be true because I am the one feeding and housing you currently. He ask me everyday how his boy is doing. You are a really lucky guy to have such a wonderful father! He talks about you playing football, etc and I always protest but secretly I think you can play if you want.
It's crazy to think that being pregnant with you has taken quite the toll on my body. I'll try not to hold it against you in the future :). I didn't even know it was possible to gain so much weight in a year. I also didn't know something so small, you, could make my body so achy and uncomfortable. But it's completely okay with me. I know you are worth every pound, every ache, every stretch mark! You already bring so much happiness into our lives.
As ridiculous as this sounds, sometimes I think you are doing things on purpose. I imagine you laughing sometimes. I try to tell you that I am the funny one, not you but I think that encourages you more. Sometimes you'll be super active and I'll tell daddy to come and feel or to see. As soon as he gets close enough you go completely still. Maybe you are playing hide and seek. You don't let many people feel you move. Sometimes daddy even thinks I'm making it up that you are so active. We try to trick you sometimes but you are too smart. Like I said, I know it is ridiculous but it's fun to have these little talks with you. You like to hang out on my right side so I look pretty funny. Daddy says it is because you already want to choose the right. I also have to remind him that I'm the funny one, not him. We laugh a lot in our home.
Your cousins are so excited to meet you. The Farrell kids ask about you a lot and Ginny has already told me she would babysit you! She also likes to rub my tummy when we are together. Then we have Elle who we see quite a bit. She gives you kisses & hugs all the time. She also always wants to share her food with you. If she is eating she'll offer me a bite for Elijah. Even if I don't want it but she thinks you do she insist on you having it. When we go shopping together we always look at baby stuff and she gets so excited. I'll tease about buying you something pink but she protects you from my girly instincts. You have 3 boy cousins that are all about 18 months older than you. Hopefully you all play well together. I wonder if you will all be very close.
I guess I could give you the old motherly advice about always wear clean underwear and keep your teeth brushed but we have a lifetime for me to tell you these things.
I guess the main thing you should know is how much I already love you. And I promise to be the best mommy that I can. I've waited a long time to have you and at times in life I thought I'd never have the chance to be a mommy but now I have you growing in me. Even with all the not so fun pregnant stuff, I've never been happier. I'll try to not embarrass you too much and when you are older I'll try not to kiss you in public. I love you baby boy! I can not imagine loving you more yet I know when you are actually here I will. I feel blessed daily to get the opportunity to have you in my family.
Love always and forever,
Mommy

3 comments:

Jana Adamson said...

Wow, now you have me crying, Sandra. That is the sweetest letter to Elijah! Thank you for sharing your thoughts. It made me laugh too to hear that Brent is trying to be the "favorite" and the "funny one" or Elijah is already "choosing the right." I just know that my grandbaby is coming to the most wonderful set of parents a kid could ask for! Won't this just be so grand to have the next generation of Adamsons/Eatons arrive soon? Love you lots, Sandra. You are the perfect match for my son and I know you'll be a fabulous mommy for Elijah and any other sweet spirits headed your way. (Oh, and that is NOT code for ugly! I really will think all my grandbabies are sweet and of course they are going to be darling as well!!)

Carrie Ann said...

Elijah will cherish this letter one day. I hope you copy and save it for him. You will be an amazing little mommy.

Jennifer Shea said...

You are such a doll and a great Mom!